Wednesday, August 27, 2014

About Me

Ellen Marie Jarvis. That is my full name. From that, I usually get the response: "You're a Jarvis, eh?". Being from a small town, I inevitably cross paths with someone who knows my dad, mom, or grandpa, anywhere (and I mean anywhere) in the Upper Peninsula. I was raised in the 4,000 person "city" of Hancock, MI, where we are known for a big lift bridge, pasties, and beautiful fall colors. "Where's Hancock?" is the typical response to that statement, especially when I'm here at school. Usually, with a simple short reply of Houghton, I get an "Oooohhhh, so by Michigan Tech". They are most definitely not the same. I like to think I live on the smaller, quainter, and quieter side of the bridge.

Growing up, I was fortunate enough to have lived in a rural area of town. I was known to be gallivanting around the woods, climbing up trees, and trudging through rivers. Looking back, I'm actually surprised how much freedom my mom gave me, considering how much of a ruckus I was. My family consists of 6 people- My mom, dad, one brother, and two sisters. Of course, I did just say people. That didn't include our numerous pets. We own 3 loving, chubby outdoor cats, and 2 energetic dogs. 

You could say I've always wanted to be a teacher, or at least that's what my mother would tell you. I'd drag my sisters around the woods on "field trips" to look for bugs, or cram them in a blanket fort to teach them about Native Americans from my mom's books. My poor sisters. Considering this, it's no surprise that I'm sitting here typing out a blog for my Life Science for Educators course. I can't say I mind. It feels good to know that I have somewhat of a plan for my life. At the same time, it scares the living day light out of me. But you know what they say: if your dreams don't scare you, then they aren't big enough.

EJ

From left to right: My sister, Mary, my mom, Karen, and me at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island last summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment